Sunday, May 22, 2011

Caught in a waking dream

Hide and Seek. Marco, Polo.
Where are you? Hey, hello?
Inside and outside, you haunt my every being.
My soul stirs restlessly for your touch, your words that graze my cheek so softly. 
My lips tremble for remembrance.  My eyes, your starstruck acknowledgment. 
Along a path of burning coals, I walk.  I close my eyes squeezing back the pain. 
Steadily I balance, arms in flight, listening to the gunshots quiver past my ears.
Battle upon battle, bullets narrowly miss the mark.
Unscathed, with a hole in my heart?
The shadows of my subconscious, their medical hands stained blood red, are shattered as it bursts in crimson rain overhead.  
Part the waves of the red sea, here I come, look away. 
Both towering walls of still water breaks through my force field of domain.  I feel the first drops of red rain before I am awash in blue tides. 
With open eyes I am turned around, upside down; My sense of direction floats about my gasps for air.
You flash through my mind all calm and fine.  You tend to your next 'sweet thing', not witness to my burnt feet, or the scars of bullets that cut me into Swiss cheese.  
You cannot see me drowning beneath the waves of the sea. 
In a flash of white light I am asleep in a field of billowing, tall green grass.
I awake to sunflowers and roses and clear blue skies.  
I try to remember something, anything, but I am washed clean.
I try to remember your touch, and the way your words would softly graze my cheek.
My lips do not tremble, nor do my eyes look for those starry skies.  
Down the center, slightly to the left, a tiny stitch marks my beating heart.
I am back to the beginning.
Hide and Seek.  This time I am searching for me. 1, 2, 3. 

No comments:

Post a Comment